Before you listen, there is a The Razor’s Edge newsletter now available. Written by Akram’s Razor, the Razor’s Edge will come out at least twice a month and include ideas, analysis, macro input, and the insights you would expect from this podcast. Check it out at: https://the-razors-edge.ghost.io
PagerDuty has been a regular topic on The Razor’s Edge for over a year, and this month’s earnings seemed to reward that attention, as the company crossed the magic 30%+ revenue growth barrier for the first time since the pandemic began.
To get more details on what drove that acceleration and what might come next, we spoke with Howard Wilson, PagerDuty’s CFO. We talked about the macro climate driving PagerDuty’s opportunity, the competition they are seeing and why they remain confident about it, and what product expansion looks like.
Justen Stepka, regular Razor’s Edge guest and formerly of Atlassian and Docker, joined us, and the conversation went deep on strategy, tactics, and opportunities across the board. We think you’ll get a lot out of this episode.
- 3:45 minute mark – The second derivative effect
- 5:45 – What’s driving growth?
- 8:15 – Where is the sales focus?
- 9:45 – How the free tier fits into the business
- 13:15 – The power of the freemium model for PagerDuty
- 16:00 – The changing competitive stance and field
- 19:30 – Success in competing as a public company so far
- 22:30 – What is the future revenue growth strategy?
- 26:15 – PagerDuty network opportunities
- 29:45 – Customer sizing and how far penetration can go
- 37:45 – Pricing tiering potential
- 40:30 – Security Ops as an opportunity
- 42:15 – Long-term operating leverage