This week we take a break from our Future of Compute series on the Razor’s Edge to talk Peloton.
In an earnings season full of big moves and surprises, Peloton’s downhill fall has been one of the headline events. As we mention on the call, who would imagine that COVID would still be a part of our lives, but Zoom and Peloton shares would be flat from June 2020? And yet, here we are.
We break down how management may have backed themselves into a corner and what it would take for Peloton to climb again. We also get into how this is a signal of the pandemic-related challenges that still face many companies in a market that, despite continuing to rise as a whole, has seen more and more companies hit potholes.
- 2:30 minute mark – Peloton’s earnings fiasco
- 8:30 – The business model and the bull case
- 15:00 – Did Peloton’s management set themselves up for a fall?
- 21:00 – The permanent changes vs. trends in the broader U.S. economy
- 27:30 – How to recover from lost credibility
- 35:00 – Where does upside come from
- 40:00 – How Peloton can stabilize/turn it around
- 48:00 – The narrative momentum
- 56:30 – Market dispersion
- 1:01:00 – Last call on Peloton, and comparison to Zoom
- 1:16:00 – The challenges exiting a pandemic and investing meanwhile